MPLAB REAL ICE In-Circuit Emulator System is Microchip’s next generation high speed emulator for Microchip Flash DSC® and MCU devices. It debugs and programs PIC and dsPIC Flash microcontrollers with the easy-to-use but powerful graphical user interface of the MPLAB Integrated Development Environment (IDE), included with each kit.
The MPLAB REAL ICE probe is connected to the design engineer's PC using a high-speed USB 2.0 interface and is connected to the target with either a connector compatible with the popular MPLAB ICD 2 system (RJ11) or with the new high speed, noise tolerant, low voltage differential signal (LVDS) interconnection (CAT5).
MPLAB REAL ICE is field upgradeable through future firmware downloads in MPLAB IDE. In upcoming releases of MPLAB IDE, new devices will be supported, and new features added.
MPLAB REAL ICE offers the following advantages:
- Low cost
- Full speed emulation
- Fast debugging and programming
- Ruggedized probe interface
- High speed connectivity (High Speed option)
- Long cable interconnects (validated to 3 meters)
- MPLAB IDE integration (included free)
- Small footprint (3 3/8”×4 5/8”×3/4”)
MPLAB REAL ICE Features
- Real-time execution and real time trace collection
- Real time watch
- Full hardware debugging: breakpoints, single-step, variable inspect/modify
- Logic probe inputs/outputs (8)
- I/O Port trace and SPI trace options for high speed upload of trace data
- Over voltage/short-circuit monitor protection
- Low voltage: to 2.0 volts (2.0V to 5.5V range)
- High speed USB 2.0 communication protocol
Standard Probe Driver
The Standard Probe Driver uses a MPLAB ICD 2 type connector (RJ11) to connect to the target application. Designs that are compatible with MPLAB ICD 2 debugging/programming are quickly converted to the use of MPLAB REAL ICE. This driver board is included in the MPLAB REAL ICE Probe Kit (DV244005).
High Speed Probe Driver/Receiver (AC244002)
The optional High Speed Probe Driver consists of two circuit boards (transmitter and receiver) with two CAT5 cables. Debug pins are driven using LVDS communications, and additional trace connections allow high speed serial trace uploads to the PC.
Device Support List
The MPLAB REAL ICE is capable of supporting most flash PIC microcontroller and dsPIC digital signal controllers. Check the release notes with the most current MPLAB IDE to see the full list of devices supported.